FAQ – Life Insurance
If you require any further information or have other questions that are not listed below you can chat to one of our representatives live online. Click on the ‘Chat Now’ tab on the bottom of the screen to begin a live chat. Alternatively you can send an email to Info@theAAlife.ie or call us on 0818 3000 16.
- How Much Cover do I need?
- How much cover you need can vary quite significantly from one person to another. The objective of Life Cover is usually to replace an income to protect your family in the event of death. The size of that income would help you to determine how much cover you need.
- How long do I need cover for?
- If you require the policy for family protection, then you should have cover until your youngest child is expected to be independent. With children going to university, this can often mean a term of 25 years.
If you require the policy to cover an “Interest Only” mortgage, then you will need cover for the remaining term of the mortgage.
- What type of cover?
- There are various different options available to you within a Life Insurance policy. These include, Conversion Option, Indexation, and Dual Life Cover etc. All of these different options are explained in detail in our Life Insurance Section and should help you decide what cover is best for you.
Mortgage Protection is offered on a single or joint life basis. These options are explained further in our Mortgage Protection Section.
- When do I need to have a Mortgage Protection Plan in place?
- For new mortgages your lender will require the original policy document approximately 1 week before your loan is issued.
- What if I need cover in a hurry?
- If you need the cover in a hurry, we suggest that you scan and email the application form/declaration and any other questionnaires requested. This will speed up any decision from Aviva Life & Pensions UK Ltd. Please also post the declarations to us, we would suggest you use swift post to ensure next day delivery. When returning your application you should mark your application “Urgent”. You can also Contact us on 0818 3000 16.
- How do I apply?
- Firstly you need to obtain a quotation online – click “Get a Quote”
- Enter your details and click “Get Instant Quote”
- If you are happy with the quotation, click “Get this Quote”
- Leave the rest to us!
- I am replacing an existing a policy, when should I cancel this?
- You should not cancel your existing policy until your new policy is in force. Please note if you are replacing an existing policy, either completely or partially, you must make sure that this new policy meets your needs and that you are aware of the financial consequences of replacing your existing policy. Please call us on 0818 3000 16 to discuss.
- What if I need help with the application form?
- You can email us at Info@theAAlife.ie or call us on 0818 3000 16 from 9am until 5.30pm Monday to Friday. You can also contact us via our Live Chat option. We will be happy to help in any way we can.
- How will I know what stage my application is at?
- We will email you within 24 hours of receiving your application and regularly afterwards to keep you up to date on where your application is at. You can also contact us at any time for an update.
- How long before I am on cover?
- Usually it will take 5-7 working days from when we receive the original fully completed application form & declaration. Some applications may be accepted on the same day! Existing health conditions may delay the process, for example if you have High Blood Pressure, Aviva Life & Pensions UK Ltd may contact your doctor for a medical report.
- Will I need to do a medical?
- More often than not, the insurance provider will not require you to attend a medical, but in some instances they will. This is usually dependant on the level of cover that you are looking for and your age. If you have an existing medical condition, Aviva Life & Pensions UK Ltd may look for a report from your GP, or they may ask you to attend for a medical. There will be no cost to you for the medical. Aviva Life & Pensions UK Ltd will pay the cost of any medical directly to your GP regardless of whether you proceed with the quote.
- Can I claim tax relief on my Life Cover Plan?
- No. You cannot claim tax relief on a Life Insurance policy.
- When will I receive my Policy Documents?
- Once the policy is accepted by Aviva Life & Pensions UK Ltd you can confirm to us when you want the policy to start. Once received we will send you the original documents in the post. This typically takes 3 days. We can also email a copy of the documentation to you.
- What if I change my mind?
- When you receive your policy documents, you are entitled to a 30 day cooling off period. This allows you to cancel your policy and you will receive a full refund of any premiums paid.
- Will my premiums increase?
- Your premiums will only increase if you choose Indexation. Indexation increases your premiums and benefits each year to keep your benefits in line with inflation. This is an optional extra and you can choose to include this in your plan.
- Can I cancel my policy?
- Yes. You can cancel your policy at any time. If you stop paying premiums, your policy will lapse and your cover will cease. There is no cash value at the end of any of our plans. Please note if your policy is to cover your mortgage, then you will need to get the mortgage providers permission to cancel the policy.